Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ragi malt with Buttermilk

After a tough day yesterday, having nothing but fruits and two cups of soup, I was craving for a nice filling breakfast today morning. So, I started thinking of making and having this even before I got up from my bed. As soon as I got up, I refreshed myself, came to the kitchen and started preparing this wonderful breakfast. It is very simple and satisfying and moreover of great nutritional value. Ragi is rich in protien, calcium, iron and is also gluten free.


Ingredients for servings of 2:
Ragi flour – ½ cup
Water – 1cup
Buttermilk made from 1 cup of mild yoghurt
Salt – optional

I really don’t know if they prepare the malt in this way, but I tried and it came out really great and tastes wonderful. I know that it is common to prepare ragi malt with milk, but as I am not a great milk fan, I thought I would give it a try with buttermilk and here it is…..A very tasty Ragi malt.

Preparation:

First mix the ragi flour in half cup of water, to make it a nice, smooth paste. Then bring the remaining ½ cup of water to boil in a sauce pan. Now add the ragi paste to the boiling water by simultaneously stirring it briskly, in order to avoid the formation of lumps. Now remove the pan from the stove and let it cool for 5 min. At this stage, the consistency would be like a thick paste. Once the paste is cooled, add the buttermilk and whisk it to a smooth paste to a consistency of a Dosa batter. You can add some salt to taste but I didn’t add as I had the malt with lemon pickle. I am very happy to have had given it a try to make this dish and I love it….

No comments:

Post a Comment