Thursday, January 7, 2010

Zucchini Rice



I got introduced to this vegetable about 4 years back, when I visited one of my Brasilien friend, Suzanne. She sauted zucchini and served it as a sidedish for Risotto. At that time, I didn't like its mild taste. Then After few months, I was just buying some vegetables at an Iranian shop and saw the zucchini and bought it but I didn't know what to prepare from them. When I first ate it, I felt it tasted similar to Okra. So, I fried it  and then went on to make this recipe. It tastes really good in this way and from then on, this became a very common dish in my home.

Ingredients for 2 servings:

Basmati Rice -1 cup
Grated Zucchini- 2 cups
Green chillies - 4 to 5 slit lengthwise
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Oil or ghee - 1 tsp
Water - 2 cups
Salt to taste

Preparation:

wash and soak the rice for 15 min. Heat the oil in a wide skillet and add the cumin seeds, green chillies and fry for  a min and then add the grated zucchini and fry for about 5 min. till the water in the zucchini evaporates. Now add this mixture to the rice and salt to taste, stir and cook the rice till its done. Serve hot with any gravy or raitha. It tastes good as it is too.

2 comments:

  1. Actually i dint know hw to prepare some dish wit zucchini.. bt nw evrythn clr... I tried it out and it came so well.. evry1 liked it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks vallini..for trying and letting me know...

    ReplyDelete