Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ragi Sangati (or) Ragi Mudda




This was our lunch today. Ragi Sangati with spinat dal. I am very happy to start my blog with one of my favourite recipes. Ragi Sangati is a staple food in most rural Andhra and karnataka household. Its very tasty and healthy. Whenever I think of Ragi Sangati or the plain sangati (made with plain rice), I remember my childhood days, when my grandmothers used to prepare for the workers who work in our farms. We used to live in a joint family in a farm house in our fields and they used to cook sangati in large quantities for all the workers and also our family. From then on, I started eating this mouthwatering-delicacy with my father and still I love it and even now, my mother prepares ragi sangati for me and my father whenever I go to India. It tastes very delicious with both Non-Veg and Veg dishes.
Ragi is the least fat containing grain. Ragi is rich in protien, calcium, iron and is also gluten free.It is also a rich source of Methionine and is a recommended diet for diabetic people. Ragi Dosa, Ragi Malt, Ragi pudding and many more varieties can be made from Ragi flour.


Ingredients needed for 2 servings:

Ragi flour - 1 cup
Rice - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Water – 5 cups

Preparation:

Clean and soak rice for 15 - 20 mins. Boil 4 and a half cups of water in a saucepan and add the drained rice and salt. Cover and cook the rice until the grains are soft. In order to avoid the formation of lumps in the flour , I mixed it with half cup of water to make it a smooth paste and when the rice is cooked and soft, just add this paste into the pot. Cover the pan and let it cook on sim heat for few mins. Remove the cover and using a wooden spatula or a pappu guthi stir the mixture thoroughly until it is evenly mixed and cook on a low flame for 10 more mins.
Now , to make the sangati muddas, take a portion of the cooked mixture in a vessel which is wet with water and rotate with the hand to make a ball.Serve hot with any gravy. It tastes good with dals, Non-veg currys. I personally like it to have it with spicy fish curry and chicken curry and gongura dal. Today I prepared Spinat dal along with the sangati. I mixed the left over ragi mudda with buttermilk and had it as a soothing dinner. Trust me….it tastes great with buttermilk too….

1 comment:

  1. Dear Blogger, we are looking for best ragi sangati with biryani hyderabad. your post made us our day very happy.

    ReplyDelete